Tuesday, May 1, 2012

First day of "school"

Today was a first.  It was Connor's first day at the Mom's Day Out program at Noah's Nursery.

I woke up early to get ready and had to come wake up this precious boy.


We tried to avoid using the word "school" and just tried to make it another fun day playing with Ryder.

The boys were so excited to see eachother.

The boys were even cooperative to get a few pictures before going in.

Ryder was such a sweetheart.  He told Danielle that morning that he would make sure Connor didn't cry at school.  I was so grateful to have the boys together in class.  Ryder went right in like usual, but Connor reached the classroom door & realized he didn't want to go.  My heart sank as he cried & I forced myself to leave.  It was a little easier than I thought it would be on my emotions.  I've had many days where I watch Connor ride away in his Dad's car and I just cry and cry.  There is seriously no worse feeling than having your child taken from you, especially when you have major concerns for how he'll be cared for while he's away.  So today with school, I was reassured that the teachers were wonderful and caring, that Connor had Ryder and Sophia in his class as familiar faces, and I knew it would only be for a few hours until I could come pick up my sweet boy!  I had a few tears when I reached my car, but thanks to Danielle & Amanda, our breakfast date after dropping off our kids helped take my mind off of Connor being away from me.

As soon as the clock hit 1:00pm, I was there and waiting to pick up Connor from school.  I peaked in the window and Connor perked right up & said "My mom's here!!"  I love that run-over-to-you-hug when Connor first sees me.  He was so sweet and said,

 "I really missed you Mom!  You came and picked me up in in in...in 20 minutes."  :)

Teachers said he cried a bit when I dropped him off, played well, then cried when kids were starting to get picked up, as if he was worried I wasn't coming.

The teacher noted he had such nice manners.  She asked Connor if he needed to go potty and he said "No thanks."  Such a little man he is!

Connor was in such great spirits when I picked him up, so I tried for another first day of school photo.

Connor asked me as we were leaving, "So did you have a nice time in church Mama?!"
He was so precious, as he thought I went to the church next door while he was in school.

I told him all that I did while he was in school and he told me all about his day.  He was excited to tell me he had jello in his lunchbox :).  We were freely using the word "school" and it didn't bother him at all, or cause the usual "I don't want to go to school Mama.  Not 'til I'm old."

Hoping for less tears when he goes again on Thursday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am happy to hear it went well! Yay for school! Peyton starts in August!

Brost Family said...

That is the sweetest little story! Love that little man :)