Thursday, December 15, 2011

'Tis the Season

Life has been busy lately, although I don't really have much to show for it! It just feels like there are not enough hours in the day to get all the things that we'd like to get done-Done! If this post appears somewhat jumbled and mish-moshed...well...that's just how my brain feels right about now. Just go with it :)

I made the recent decision to convert our guest room into a play room! So glad I made that choice! With a recent birthday and upcoming Christmas, Connor's toys are starting to take over! It's funny how a new room brings life to Connor's old toys again too! He loves having his own special room to play in. He often goes in, closes the door, and begins making his toys "talk" or "zooms" his cars. There is nothing cuter than listening to him play creatively on his own. :)

Connor's little brain is a sponge these days, so I've been trying to teach him anything & everything I can think of! We were at the playground yesterday & Connor was pointing out the shapes on the ladder to me and goes "A triangle...and an OCTAGON...noooo, 1-2-3-4-5...a pentagon!" I was shocked! He said he remembered it from "Team Umizoomi"--a show that Connor usually watches mid morning while I take a shower/get ready. So nice to know he's learning! This week we've been working on learning the days of the week and counting past 25. We've also been working on the "don't hit other kids, even it they hit you first" rule. Today was a great example. A little boy on the McD's playground was randomly hitting Connor. Connor came to me & told me he was hitting him (big steps for us instead of Connor just swatting him back!). It was tough, because 'the hitting boy' had a Mom that was MIA and apparently not big on paying attention to her child on the playground. I just kept reminding Connor to try to avoid the little boy and if he hit him again, to tell him "hitting is not nice!" So shortly after, it occurred again...and I hear my familiar child's voice from around the slide say "My Mom said hitting's not nice!!!" It was pretty great!! :)

We've made it a nightly tradition to drive around and check out Christmas lights. I've gone through quite a bit of gas already this Christmas season, but it's so fun to hear Connor get so excited... "Over there! See 'em! See 'em!! Santa! Snowmans!" When we see a manger set up in a yard, I take the opportunity to explain to Connor a little about the meaning of Christmas. Here's a small blip of our conversation a few days ago...

Me: Do you know whose birthday is on Christmas?
Connor: Baby Jesus...and SANTA!
Me: Well, just Baby Jesus.
Connor: Can Santa have a cupcake with me at Baby Jesus' birthday party?!
Me: Sure honey!

That's about as far as our Christmas lesson went! Funny to see how his little mind works!

While we are driving around looking at Christmas decor, we jam to 104.9FM, which is non stop Christmas music (old and new). We were listening about a week ago and this is what happened...

The guy on the radio says "Happy Holidays!" Then Connor chimes in & says "Hol--i--days, sweeping the clouds away..."

I'm pretty sure all things route back to Sesame Street in his eyes! It was pretty darn cute! :)

I'll let the pictures below tell their own stories of what's been going on lately.


Remember my recent blog on our Elf on the Shelf, Jingles. Well, he's been keeping Matt & I busy with finding new hiding spots daily. If you were a fly on the wall in our house around 10:30pm at night, you'd see one person standing on a dining room chair in the living room while the other is holding a cell phone to serve as a flashlight as we try to find a nice 'watching post' for Jingles. I have to admit it's pretty fun and it gives Connor a fun task of finding him each morning!


You may have to squint, but Jingles is along the window ledge. I need to make a point to hand Matt a dust rag while he's up in these tall areas...kill two birds with one stone!


Connor received his Charlie Brown tree from a wonderful family friend this year. You know you have a great family friend when they buy your child a "Seminoles tree," even when they are the biggest Gator fan on the planet. We love you, John Hulslander!


Connor received a belated Birthday card from Aunt Holly this week. Connor had the best time taking his birthday money and picking out a new special toy from Target. Toy of choice: Percy from Thomas the Train. Thanks again Aunt Holly!


Connor and I make a point to attend "Family Night" quite often at our local Chickfila. The cow mascot must have a special place in his heart for Connor, because out of the 1000 kids that are always hanging off of him, he makes a point to take Connor aside to dance and hug him. Connor loves this Cow so very much and was so excited this past week when "Chickfila Cow in Santa costume, Mom!" I wish I knew who was inside his cow costume to thank him for making Connor's day each time we visit there!


I wish so badly that this picture below was a video. My mom sent me this picture on Tuesday while I was at work. Apparently, Connor and my mom made a trip to Walmart for a few things. On their way out, Connor dropped a few coins in the Salvation Army bucket and wished the lady a "Merry Kissmiss." The woman adored Connor so much, that she asked him if he wanted to ring the bell. Connor took on the duty whole heartedly and not only rang the bell, but sang the best lispy rendition of "Jingle Bells." My mom said he was the CUTEST thing ever and raised lots of money!! This should have been a clip on the local news!!


If I don't get a second to post before next weekend, I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!!

No comments: