Sunday, August 17, 2014

'Twas the night before Kindergarten...

The day was close perfect.  Both boys had a fun day.  If my kids are happy, I'm happy!  To celebrate our last day of summer before my big boy starts elementary school tomorrow, we spent the morning on Sanibel, made our way to Nana & Papa's pool for a tiny "Happy Kindergarten" celebration, and ended the day with some Lego assembly/pretend play followed by both boys asleep before it was even dark outside.  No signs of anxiety from C for school tomorrow, but that's probably because all of the butterflies are in MY stomach.  
Before I get all sappy talking about my sweet boy starting Kindergarten in the morning, let's recap some fun memories from today.

My precious Noah Monster is finally feeling better.  After last week of 3 teeth coming in, double ear infection, split top lip, and possible hand-foot-mouth-virus, Noah is finally himself again!  Happy little guy who just goes with the flow.  Not that he has much of a choice, because big bro, Connor, is used to calling all the shots.

After going almost a week without seeing Nana & Papa, Connor could not wait to see them today!  Papa scoped out the best place to hunt sand dollars for C, Nana packed all the goodies for the day, and we all had such a great time!

My little smiley guy with all of his teeth poking through.

Noah snuck in a nap while everyone continued their sand dollar/sea pen hunt in the water.  When nap time was over, Papa enjoyed a little Noah time while we had lunch.


After the beach, the pool never sounds better!  We all enjoyed cooling off & we finally convinced C to try out his new mask.  He wasn't fond of it being tight on his face, but once he tried it out under the water, there was no turning back!  This little guy is going to have a blast once we get him using a snorkel!


Connor always finds it fun to see how we look under the water. :)


Nana was prepared with a gift bag of goodies and cup cakes/ice cream to celebrate Connor's "Happy Kindergarten Celebration Day!"  Connor wanted to add that it was his "Mask Celebration Day" as well.  He's my goob.


When we got home, I did lots of running around getting everything put away, set out, and all just right to prepare for the 1st day of school in the morning.  Matt got me a new fancy camera last week & I had been reading all about it in my down time to become familiar with all the settings before using it.  Since I knew I'd be snapping oodles of photos for the 1st day of school, I wanted to try it out a little before hand.  Good thing I have cute subjects around the house!


C assembled his new Lego Batman set from Nana & Papa and thought it be perfect to pose with his final creations before we played pretend with them.


After a tiring day in the sun, Noah Monster was asleep just before 7pm.  By 7:40pm, C was settling into bed as well.  Both of my babies were asleep before the sun went down.  It was strange.  C doesn't seem to be fazed that tomorrow is his first day of school at a 'big boy school.'  He's got a uniform all set out to wear, which isn't as fun as a cool super hero shirt.  I tried to make up for it by letting him pick out super cool new underwear to wear.  I'm pretty sure he decided on Angry Birds Star Wars Death Star underpants for the big day tomorrow.  New socks.  New sneakers.  Darth Vader backpack.  Batman lunchbox.  Fun treats in his lunch box.  Everything is ready.  Well, all except me.  I remember the anxiety I felt as a kid going into a new classroom like it was just yesterday.  That anxiety is multiplied when you have a child.

Will he make friends?  What if someone is mean to him?  What if he doesn't know how to tuck in his uniform shirt after he goes to the bathroom?  What if someone makes fun of him for saying 'hiney' instead of 'butt?'  What if he misses me so much he cries?  What if he's starving before lunch time?  Did I teach him enough?  What if I blink and he's 18?

I will cherish our little moments even more now.  When he wants to snuggle.  When he sneaks into my bed in the middle of the night.  When he whispers to me that I'm the best mom in the world.  When he wants me to stay in his room an extra few minutes while he goes to sleep.  When he runs and hugs me after I lay Noah down for a nap and he knows its just our special time together.

My boy is growing up.
Stay tuned for pictures from our big day tomorrow.

No comments: