Sunday, March 7, 2010

Connor's 1st Parade!

It is extremely necessary (according to the Official Mother Handbook), to document every one of your child's "firsts". Yesterday was one of them. It was Connor's 1st Parade (and Fair). Although the Cape Coral Parade is nothing more than the Shriner's Club, a few dressed up children, the Mayor, and whoever Miss Cape Coral/Fort Myers was...it was still his first Parade! It happened to be one cold, windy parade that we apparently got to too early, so spent a good time walking to kill time & to stay warm! In the process of killing time, we took a stroll around the tiny Fair that was set up. We decided Connor may LOVE the "SuperSlide," so we went for it! Papa went to wait in the ticket line, while I tried to hold a place in line (nothing like waiting in a long line with a toddler that won't stand still!) Just as I was looking around the see just how many tickets this slide would take, Papa came up with six tickets...yes, this fancy slide was six dollars! Now I had the pressure of keeping my child happy in line & hope he absolutely loved this slide knowing we paid six bucks! :) Once the lovely lady handed me our straw-like, brown, holey sack to sit on, Connor & I started our way up the never ending staircase. Ever held a 30 lb child on your hip that is pushing off of you to get down, while climbing a staircase a good 200 steps high & about a foot wide, on an extremely windy day?!?!? It was at that moment that I became slightly afraid of heights. We got to the very top & then I was trying to figure out how I could put Connor down, get him to stay right there, while I set up our oh-so-sanitary brown sack to sit on. Thank goodness I was successful! Once we plopped ourselves on our sack, I gave a quick check to Nana at the bottom to make sure she was 'camera ready'...as it would only devastate me to not have a photo memory of this very moment! We heaved down the slide & as everyone noted, Connor was grinning all the way down! After it all, I was glad we went! After much more walking to kill time before the Parade, we finally reached the starting time for it to begin! God Bless whatever float came by in the very beginning of the Parade tossing out tiny stress balls, because Connor was then content for the rest of the Parade with his new ball! :) We ended the evening with more walking to the car parked over-way-yonder and pizza at Papa Joe's. We had a great night!


My face reads: Please God lets avoid a meltdown in line.


Letting Connor play in the rocks/dirt to keep him content while waiting in line...


Bracing myself for the "SuperSlide"






Watching the Parade (or for Connor, enjoying his new stress ball)



1 comment:

Olivia Lefko said...

I think it's amazing that you could carry him up to the top! My arms get sore from carrying my 13 pound baby.