Monday, August 24, 2015

1st day of 1st grade!!

Well, today was the day.  Summer is officially over.  We ended the summer yesterday with an evening family trip to the pool.  Bed time went surprisingly smooth.  There wasn't any whining or complaining about having to go to school.  I think anxiety kept Connor from finally falling asleep until close to 9:30pm, but when Noah & I went to wake him up this morning at 7:30am, he woke happy!  I was almost positive I'd get a "I-don't-want-to-go-to-school" comment and grump face, but to my surprise, I didn't get that at all!  He got dressed without trouble, brushed his teeth without being asked, and was ready to go!  I snapped a quick picture by our traditional spot and had hopes to get one of the two boys together, but Noah was busy grabbing his bucket of chalk thinking that since we were outside, we were doodling the ABCs in the road.  I knew a picture wasn't happening, so I just kept the happy-no crabby trend going & we hopped in the car.


Since every single parent wanted to park & walk their kids in on the 1st day, the parking lot was pure craziness.  I could sense Connor was getting concerned that we were not going to be the very first kids into school (like he prefers), so I had to think fast.  It was either illegally park with 12,000 other parents on the side of the main road or go back into our neighborhood & walk.  We opted to park illegally.  It wasn't ideal, but it worked!  We saw familiar faces as we headed to Connor's class & all was just going beautifully!  I made sure C knew where his backpack & lunch went, let Noah dance around the alphabet wall that was on display (he was beyond thrilled & would have easily stayed in class with Connor all day), gave C a kiss, and headed on our way.  Connor's buddy, Nor, was in his class this year again, so he immediately lit up when he saw a familiar friend in class.  My heart was at ease & it felt so nice!  Noah cried for the "Letters!!" as we left Connor's class, but he quickly recovered once he realized it was all about Noah until 3pm!

The Noah Monster enjoyed a trip to the Outlet stores to return Connor's sneakers (our only hiccup from this morning...C's new first day of school shoes were too tight when we put them on today, so we got to go try and exchange them).  He thoroughly enjoyed the playground area & fell asleep beautifully on our drive home.
Can't wait to hear how C's day was at 3pm!

No comments: