Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Big, big day!!

Connor's been hesitant about this whole 'new class' thing for a while.  When we went to Orientation, he kept making sure I wasn't dropping him off & that I would stay with him.  I had so much anxiety built up inside on how his 1st day would go.

Well...Connor woke last night around 1:30am & came into my room saying "I don't want to go to my new school, Mom."  I reassured him it was still dark out & he didn't need to worry about it right now.  My stomach dropped inside though, as I knew the morning would only bring more anxiety.  I woke C around 7:10am (which is super early for him).  I started to dress him while he was still half asleep in bed.  We sang our "Good Morning" song to help him smile & wake up.  I suggested we see what exciting cartoons were on TV since we were up earlier than usual.  We headed out to the playroom & "Octonauts" held Peewee's attention while I prepared breakfast & loaded the car.  To my surprise, C never once noted that he didn't want to go to school.  When "Octonauts" was over, we headed downstairs & hopped in the car.  I kept the 'distractions' coming & turned on Disney Pandora Radio for the ride to school.  We jammed to "Heffalumps" and "I am a Pizza"...among other fun songs.  We got to school, unloaded, and walked on in.  I was still nervously waiting for C to express his anxiety.  We got to his classroom, the "Frog Room," and were greeted by his teachers among other parents snapping photos & settling their kids in.  I helped C pull his folder out, hang up his backpack & find his seat.  I kissed him & told him I'd be back real soon, so we could have our lunch picnic in the car & then go bowling.  He became quiet, but still no tears or comments about not wanting to be there.  I felt like my feet were glued to the floor, because I had to force myself to leave.  I stood outside his classroom door & waved before heading out to my car to cry alllllll the way home.  Oh and here come the tears again now.  Being a Mom plus hormones is a dangerous combination!

My phone alarm is set to 11:15am, so I can head out to pick up my favorite 4 year old!  So anxious to hear about his day & how he liked it.


Here's the start to our 1st day of school photos.  If you can't tell, he chose his "Chillin like Chewbacca" shirt for today! Whatever makes him happy :).

Friday is Show & Tell day, so can't wait to see what Connor decides to take in.

My baby won't stop growing!! Ughhh...

No comments: