Thursday, December 3, 2009

Positive thoughts & prayers needed



Thank goodness I have a happy little boy without a worry in the world.

His Mommy, on the other hand, has been handed a large dose of anxiety and fear.

It all started a few days ago.

Connor was born with a little dimple on the center of his sternum (high part of chest). When he was a newborn, the Dr. told me it was nothing to worry about since the dimple was not an opening in his skin. So Connor has just grown and his little dimple has just been a part of his cute characteristics.

Well, the other day I was changing Connor and noticed his little dimple was pushed out further (almost more pimple-like than dimple-like). I touched it and it felt as if there was a tiny rock underneath it. I kept an eye on the area over the next 24 hours, but it didn't seem to get any better. Connor would now squirm when I touched it, so I knew I needed to get him checked out.

I called the Pediatrician and they got him in first thing that morning. The Dr. thought it resembled a thyroglossal duct cyst....or a very slight chance it could be a brachial cleft cyst (I'll explain what that is in a second). He set us up with a Pediatric Surgeon the next day (which was today) for proper diagnosis and treatment. The Surgeon (who was very very nice and helped me feel a little more at ease about 'my son' and 'surgery' being in the same sentence). He explained he has a brachial cleft cyst (which in a nutshell---when we are embryos, we all have gills like fish that fade away and become more 'humanly characteristics'....well one of Connor's gills did not fully close internally when he was in the womb. This little opening has begun to serve as a pocket to collect fluid/mucous/etc. This is how the cyst came to develop. His little dimple on the outside has served more as a marker for us to understand whats going on internally). The only way to get rid of the cyst and help prevent another one from developing in the future, Connor has to undergo surgery to have it removed.

Yep...my healthy little boy that was never sick the first year of his life has gone from super healthy to SURGERY rather quickly.

The Surgeon scheduled the surgery for the 14th of December (which is a Monday). He said the surgery will last about an hour. He will be put under anesthesia (as we all know Connor can't sit still for a diaper change let alone a surgery). I wanted to get the surgery done ASAP to help prevent the cyst from growing anymore or becoming infected (since infection would make it harder to remove), but when we were at the Dr., he noted Connor's ears were beginning to show signs of infection. SOOOOO....Connor is on medicine for an ear infection & he can't undergo surgery until that clears up (which is 10 days on his medicine).....which brings us to December 14th.

Yes...I am doing surprisingly well considering the fact that my precious little angel will be having surgery. Something I have never had myself. I know it will hit me that day. The morning I have to wake my baby from bed, put him in the car for a half hour drive to the hospital, refuse to feed him/nurse him as Dr's orders, strip him of his clothes and place him into a tiny hospital gown, and hand him over to people I barely know. Yes...now thinking about it, its hitting me. That awful pit-in-your-stomache feeling. The thoughts of my own Mother once telling me the same thing that I am thinking now-

"If I could go through it for you, I would, in a heart beat."

So lots of prayers will be said. Lots of happy, positive thoughts will be forced into my head, pushing the not-so-happy thoughts away.

I always knew my child was a fish, but didn't think he needed gills to prove it! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor little munchkin. :( We will be thinking about you on the 14th.

Brittney said...

I cant believe that! Remember lily had that huge whole in her stomach that made it stick out? Did they say this is normal? That its an easy thing to remove? Well we will double pray for you. You are such a great mother Megan... and a very strong person! Seriously... I LOVE YOU!
by the way my security word is TRIALS....hmmm