Sunday, March 10, 2013

Peewee Soccer!

Let me just start out by saying that I have the sweetest, most tender-hearted 4 year old boy.
I love him more than life itself and wish I could shield him from everything in this world.

Yesterday, was a big day for us.  Connor started U4 coed soccer on the "Sonics"!

He was cuter than ever in his #4 red jersey (we chose 4 because he's 4, of course!).
Connor totally looked the part with his cleats, high socks & shin guards.  He was the biggest kid on his team and had the most excited waving arms you ever did see.  Practice before the game was a hoot!  The kids stood in line & each got a turn to dribble up to the goal & kick it in.  Connor would come trotting back to give me a high five, all while tallying each time he scored a goal.

"I got 3 goals, Mom!"
"4 goals, Mom!"

etc etc etc up to 15 goals!

He was one proud little guy!







This game was also a first for all of us.  It was the first time we've had to gather both sides of Connor's family together at one time.  It's weird for me to even call it "Connor's family," because family to me is defined differently.  It's not just your genetic makeup that makes you family--its the unconditional love, support, and genuine care you have for one another.  I could go on and on for years about this topic, but I'll just keep to the topic.  

Connor had his "home" family present (Mommy, Matt, Nana & Papa) as well as the "away" crowd.  The "home" family knows Connor in and out.  We know what it means when he gets quiet.  We know what each type of cry means.  We know when he needs a hug and when he needs some space.  We tend to air on the quiet side---we're not yellers---we speak softly & are still able to get the same point across.  I won't funk-i-fy my blog with lots of discussion about the "away" crowd, but I thought I need to mention it since it is part of our memory of Connor's 1st game.  The "away" crowd takes on a more vocal, in-your-face approach, all without honestly knowing how Connor ticks.  There are a few mentally unstable members of the "away" crowd that throw in another interesting aspect to the whole thing.  

We do a ridiculous amount of grinning-and-bearing-it, all for the sake of Connor feeling comfortable.  There are many-a-times that my Mama Bear claws would like to be used, but I managed to clinch my teeth and do my best to shelter my little C the very best that I can.

So with all this present in the day light of Connor's first soccer game, the "away" crowd's use of yelling, pointing, directing, and down-right smothering tactics brought my sweet, tender-hearted boy to tears before his game was over.  They are the tears any Mom will see before they even come pouring out of her child's eyes.  They're the tears that start with a blank stare, what appears to be an emotionless face, that builds up to a direct run for Mom's arms, and end with welling up eyes & giant hard-to-breath tears.  

While I sat & consoled my precious big boy, the smothering words continued from the "away" crowd.  While I knew that they thought I was just babying my 4 year old on the sidelines, I was actually trying to shield him from the funk that brought him to tears in the first place.  It took a lot of quiet words between Connor and I, lots of hugs, more meltdowns, runny boogers streaming down his face, and a broken heart from his Mama before we got the tears to subside.  It was just the icing on the cake when I had to send Connor with the "away" crowd after the game.  I had one precious little boy that didn't want to go, while I had a group of insensitive beings feeling nothing but entitled to this time with Connor & they weren't leaving without him.  I have become at professional at the art of contorting my words so that they get my point across all while a psychological game to appease the "away" crowd.  I stayed with my C until his tears had stopped and then I peeled myself away to walk back to my car with Matt, all with tears flowing under my sunglasses.  It was a very tough day to say the least and there is a reason I do not carry a concealed weapon.
But on a high note, my precious C played great at his soccer game.  I will try to let the happy memories outweigh the not-so-lovely memories.  We have a plan to practice soccer this week and keep it exciting & fun for C, so that he's willing to go back next week.  Prayers are gratefully accepted at this time :)

No one messes with my kid...especially when I'm hormonal!!

We have big fun plans with Nana & Papa tonight to help end the weekend on a high note.  No one makes things better like Nana & Papa :)

1 comment:

Brost Family said...

You are such an awesome Mama!!!