Friday, December 6, 2013

Duh...Duh...Duh...

I had no idea what was in store for me this past week.  I will happily erase the past 5 days from my memory bank! 

This photo was taken last Sunday morning.  I call this the 'calm before the storm.'


It was that night that Connor came crawling into my bed around 1:00 am complaining that his cheeks were really hot.

Just as we were ready to send C back to school after his week off for Thanksgiving break, his little sick body had other plans.  No school Monday.  No school Tuesday.  A fever peaking at a 105 temp.  C wanted to lounge inside on the couch all day, where Noah needed some fresh air outside to escape the boredom!  It was hard to keep both of my boys content while under house arrest.

I snuck in a 2 month photo!  His 3 month size sleepers are becoming short.  He's starting to grin more these days too!


While I tried to snap a cute picture of Mr. Gummy Grins after his nap, he was moving too much to get a clear one.  He may be blurry, but his smiles are still super cute.

Noah's two favorite things are being outside and taking baths.  Since we were stuck inside with my sicky 5 year old, we resorted to a bath at lunch time to help us get through the afternoon.  I would let him splash in his tub all day if I could.  He loves it.



I did a lot of negotiating to get C to take his medicine for his high fever.  This boy hates medicine like no other.  It doesn't help that he's so strong willed & you often have to resort to gator wrestling him before he'll take his meds.  I ended up putting the medicine in his apple juice & told him if he didn't drink it, we'd have to take him to the hospital where they'd have to poke his arm to give him his meds.  The strong willed booger still wasn't buying it, so Matt told him he was headed out to start his car so we could go to the hospital.  This tactic was successful.  It was the most dramatic apple juice drinking we've ever witnessed, but he was able to get enough Tylenol from it to kick his fever.

Wednesday, C made it to school.  After school, C had his 5 year old check up.  I was now coming down with a fever myself.  A fever AND a migraine. Yay.

C got out of school at noon and didn't have his appt until 2pm, so instead of hauling all the way back home in between, we detoured to Nana & Papa's house for a short while.  On the way there, I witnessed a miracle.  Both of my boys were asleep in the car.  There was no screaming baby.  C was napping, which he never does.  It was weird.  Of course, I only had about 45 minutes to feed both boys before we had to head to Dr's visit, so I had no choice, but to wake them to bring them inside the house.  Such a beautiful moment destroyed!


We got home & my health went south.  Horrible fever & migraine.  Noah chose to nap on me for 3 hours, which was just what I needed.  I got the okay to take some ibuprofen (since I'm hesitant to take any meds while nursing) and the migraine started to subside.

Noah opted to sleep his longest stretch (from 8pm-2am) that night!  I needed the sleep, for sure!  My painfully engorged bosoms kept me from sleeping well though!  It was weird to see Noah sleeping so much better all of a sudden.

Then Thursday, Noah was a snuggle bug.  He wanted to cuddle.  He'd fall asleep in the car.   He'd nap most of the day.  It was too good to be true.  Oh, and it was.


I had to wake Noah from his nap at 6:30pm to get him bathed and cleaned up for bed.  After waking him, he felt hot.  Took his temp & sure enough---the fever had hit him now.  They say babies should seek a Dr. if their fever is higher than 100.4.  Noah's was 101.8 and 102.  I was scared.  I was home alone with the boys since Matt was working late.  C was in the shower.  Noah was pretty lethargic.  I called my sister.  You never realize how great it is to have someone in the medical field in your family until moments like these.  I was mentally preparing to load up my boys and head to the hospital.  Katie told me the Tylenol dosage safe for Noah's age/weight and a plopped him in a luke/cool bath.  I was taking his temperature every minute, it seemed.  After the Tylenol, his fever went down to 99 almost instantly.  In between all this, I was texting Matt to come home.

I nursed Noah and put him to bed around 8:00 pm.  I had set my alarm to wake to give him more meds in the night, as well as to keep taking his temperature.  I went to put C to bed.  Once both boys were asleep, I poked in to check on Noah.  I usually run my fingers on his hair or across his neck just enough to see him squirm, so I know he's breathing.  This time he didn't squirm.  Instantly, my heart stopped.  I put my hand in front of his face to feel him breathing, but couldn't.  I grabbed him, said "Noah" really loudly, and pulled him out of bed.  His eyes became real big and he began to move.  He must have just been in a really deep sleep.  He scared me to death.  From that point on, I held him in the glider all night.  It was a long night.

Then today, C didn't want to go to school.  C loves school, so something wasn't right.  I talked C into going.  I drove Noah over to see his Pediatrician and was reassured his fever was gone & everything else checked out alright.  I went back to pick up C from school and before we were home, C was asleep in the car.  From noon until 5 pm, C slept.  Well, except for around 3pm when C awoke & had to go potty badly.  So badly, that his exhausted little body couldn't make it to the potty.  He just stood all foggy eyed, holding between his legs, and the potty just came.  A giant puddle on my bedroom carpet.  It was one of those Mom moments where you know you can't freak out.  Noah was asleep on me and C was embarassed & in shock of what happened.  I just smiled & told him it was okay (all while in shock of what just happened). His cough is keeping him up at night & he was just exhausted. Once I got C showered and cleaned the carpet, C went back to sleep.  I took Noah out in the front yard, so he wouldn't wake C who was snoozing in the living room. It was all about 5 minutes before Noah used all his tiny might to push out one explosive poop.  All over me and him.  I just looked at him and laughed.  

We survived this week.  It can only get better from here!  

No comments: