Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Rain cloud

 
Today, I have carried around a giant rain cloud over my head. 
 
I can't seem to get this amazing family off my mind.
 
Meet the Cimino family.
 
I work with Heather & Nick at Health Park.  Heather is the head of our Nuclear Medicine department and Nick works in the Cath Lab.  They are such sweet, funny people, with three little boys that are full of life.  We joked that Heather & Nick would once house an entire soccer team of boys.  Last January, just a week after their youngest son was born, they received the devastating news that Nick had cancer in his leg.  The happy, healthy family was hit with the biggest surprise of their lives.  They've spent the last year attending Dr visits, radiation treatments, juggling parenting, work, numerous hospital stays, surgeries, and trips all over to find help for this growing cancer.  Nick was told he had fought & beat cancer in November (just in time for his 31st birthday)...and he was looking forward to his final Dr visit to get the medical release to go back to work...when they found that he had cancer in his lungs.
 
So their light at the end of the tunnel disappeared.
 
The Doctor predicted he wouldn't live to celebrate Christmas.
 
The hospital terminated Nick's position, removing all of his Life Insurance benefits as well.
 
Their lives went into a downward spiral once again.
 
To make a long story shorter, Nick just underwent another surgery in Tampa to get as much out of his lungs as possible, and the surgeon came to find out it was larger than he realized & it had spread to his lymph nodes & heart now.
 
My heart aches for their family.
 
Tomorrow is their sweet baby, D'mitri's 1st birthday.
 
What a year it has been for them.  I can't even possibly imagine.
 
So, tonight...I ask that you just say an extra prayer for Nick and his family. 
 
Hug your loved ones a little tighter and remember that each day counts.
 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That breaks my heart. I will make sure to add them to my prayer list tonight.