Sunday, May 24, 2009

Best behavior



Ok- so my lesson learned recently in life is this:

Do not pass judgment on people that have children that are 'acting out' in public. Most of the time they are wonderful parents that have been blessed with a stinker of a child that will save all of their poor behavior for the perfect opportunity when you are out and everyone is watching! I haven't had too many of these experiences yet, as I carefully plan out each outing with my son to avoid these occurrences. I certainly know my day is coming, as Connor definitely has the power to 'act out!'

My other child-Cooper- is another story! Anyone who knows me, knows that he was my 'first child.' He has a toy for every day of the year, is always stocked up on treats, gets at least 3 walks a day, has a big backyard to play in, and is rarely left alone for more than a few hours. This dog will never know how good he has it! He, however, has learned to make a complete fool out of me lately!

EXAMPLE: My new neighbors moved in behind us about 6 months ago. They have two little dogs, that are oh-so-well-behaved. They have no fence around their yard, but just let the dogs out to 'do their business' and then they come right back in. Every command is listened to the first time. I have yet to see them misbehave.

Then.... enters Cooper.

Cooper, the one with the fenced in back yard, is not allowed out back without FULL supervision. He is a lizard hunter and knows exactly where to seek them out when I open the back door. He jets straight to the trees (I have 2) and sniffs around, apparently finds their scent, and begins to dig in order to find them! We have filled these holes several times, which over and over again, become holes again! Not only does he dig, he continues to dig while you are yelling obscenities at him, grabs a hunk of grass in his mouth when he knows you are approaching to scold him, and runs from you all around the yard. This was not as much of an issue when I had all the time in the world for Cooper (and didn't think anyone was really watching), but with Connor needing full supervision, Cooper takes full advantage of the opportunity. So every once and awhile, I run into my new neighbors and they always have a good laugh for Coop's 'exceptional behavior!' I'm sure its quite comical to look out your back window to see your neighbor chasing her scrawny little dog with dirt all over his face and a huge hunk of sod hanging from his jowls! Yep, that's my Coop!

No comments: